Catholic Church Heart of Jesus
The catholic parish church is considerably younger than its protestant neighbor church St. Jakob. It was built in 1903 and consecrated on December 13, 1903. In 1905 a neo-gothic altar was acquired, created by the brothers Stärk from Nuremberg, along with an original gothic altar. The Stations of the Cross were created in the 1920s by Heinz Schiestl of the famous family of artists from Wuerzburg.
For a long time there didn’t exist a permanent settlement of Catholics in Feucht. The region was under jurisdiction of the Imperial Free City of Nuremberg and therefore had become protestant in 1525 when Nuremberg chose this confession. Only the second half of the 19th century had brought a significant increase of Catholics in Feucht.
As the railroad between Nuremberg and Regensburg was built, catholic laborers started to settle in Feucht. Their first services were held in makeshift premises. In 1879 the small community moved to a “Notkapelle” (auxiliary chapel) and in 1895, a so-called “Expositus”, a church warden, was installed. In 1899 a catholic administration was founded and an “Expositurhaus” was built. The construction of the church in 1903 followed. Finally, in 1921 the “Expositur” became an independent parish.
The church building suffered severe damages by bombs in World War II. The nave had to be rebuilt in 1955/56. However, the original murals in the apse by Prof. Karl Johann Becker-Gundahl could not be restored. There were two gothic altars now, because the paintings on the rear of the altar side wings on the southern altar (around 1500) were removed and used for a second northern altar. They show a scene from the legend of St James. This painting and a statue of St James (around 1510/1520) are building a bridge to Feucht’s old church community before 1525 and also to the protestant neighbor church of St. Jakob (named after St. James the Great, Apostle).
Between 2004 and 2006 the Catholic Church was subject to extensive renovations and carefully adapted to the needs of a modern parish community.
Service Times are shown in the display cabinet.