Seite drucken
Markt Feucht

Protestant Church St James

Feucht was mentioned for the first time in history in the famous liturgical book “Pontificale Gundecarianum”, named after Bishop Gundekar II of Eichstätt. It was reported that in 1190 Bishop Otto of Eichstätt consecrated a chapel in Feucht. The chapel was most likely located here in place of today’s protestant church. Probably it had been a small wooden structure. There is no hint, however, when the construction of the bigger church started. It might have been in 1366 when Feucht was separated from its mother parish in Leinburg.

The sanctuary located at the bottom of the tower is the only remaining original part from the medieval times. The church was outfitted with four bartizans. That points to a function as fortified church. Feucht was located at an important trading route to Regensburg and a protection from the Hussites seemed necessary at that time. Emperor Sigismund had issued a decree granting permission to the fortification of Feucht in 1431. At the same time Feucht became a “Marktgemeinde”, it received the right to hold markets. Also still original in the church is the gothic rib vault. The scene from the Mount of Olives at the eastern wall of the tower goes back to the first quarter of the 15th century.

In 1525 Nuremberg joined the Lutheran Reformation and consequently Feucht became protestant, too. Since that time the church has been the centre of the protestant parish in Feucht.

During 1849/1850 the nave was dismantled and rebuilt. After this, many pieces of art could no longer be displayed for lack of space. Among them is a series of valuable glass paintings showing the coat of arms of important patricians from Nuremberg.

During World War II the church was severely damaged by a bomb. The ceiling of the nave collapsed and the tower burnt out. Only the enclosing walls were left. The reconstruction 1950/1951 was managed by Julius Lincke, who also played an important role in Nuremberg’s reconstruction after the war.

The baptistery is a copy of the late gothic baptistery of the “Marienkirche” in Fischbach. The painting “Auferstehung Christi” (Resurrection of Jesus) above the quire arch was created 1959 by Kurt Busch from Nuremberg. In 1999 the artist Reinhard Eiber from Feucht created the image of St James at the northern outer wall. It refers to the rediscovery of the Way of St James toward the end of the 20th century.

Today the church, the old blacksmith’s house and the sacristan’s house (former school house) form a charming ensemble – completed by the baroque vicarage, dated 1732, in the adjoining garden.

Opening hours:

  • Daily from 9:00 h till dark
  • Times of Service: The parish invites to join the service Sundays at 9:30 h
http://www.feucht.de//freizeit-kultur/tourismus/evangelische-kirche-englisch